How to Choose a Domain for Your Business
Starting out as a small business owner, a domain is one of the most important things for your brand identity.
Now, what is a domain?
Let’s put it this way. You have a physical address for your business. It’s on the corner of the town’s intersection, right next to the local ma & pa store where you buy your favorite spearmint gum and a chilled coke.
But something happened. There has been a shift in the 21st century and everything has moved online, populating the digital landscape.
You now need a digital address for your business.
Think about your domain as the street address that your website lives on. And your actual website is the physical building of your business.
The domain name is just where your site can be found.
So, the point of this blog remains…where do you begin when getting a domain for your small business?
That’s one of the first steps for your business. You have to come up with a name for your site!
How Do I Decide on a Name for My Business’ Site?
It’s a valid question. And it can be a tedious process. There are so many options out there.
Yet, you need to be sure that the domain you do decide to go with…
- …represents your brand
- …properly defines your business
- …helps your SEO presence
- …is created with long-term goals in mind
That’s when a branding session comes in.
Our branding strategists help develop the key elements that make up your business, pinpoint your USPs, identify your target audience and help form strategies surrounded by best practice content and design principles.
The right domain for your business can increase your overall brand recognition.
A domain is the name people search when they are looking for your business. And it could be the name that pops up when users search a query that is related to your products, services, or industry.
Of course, this will only happen if both the domain and the site are properly optimized for Google.
If you find that your domain is appearing on the first pages of Google, then your chances for lead generation are increased exponentially.
According to 99 Firms, improving SEO can drive a 14.6% conversion rate. This means that a domain that is built with SEO in mind can give your business a positive boost in the direction of conversion rates.
Who wouldn’t want that?
Important Factors to Consider for Domain Choosing
There are a number of factors that need to be considered before you accidentally jump the gun and get a domain that doesn’t represent you or your company at all.
You don’t want to be a dedicated basket weaver and use a domain titled: treegrowingfairyprincess.com.
It just doesn’t make sense.
In our experience, these are the top considerations before purchasing a domain:
1. .org, .net, or .com – Consulting with a branding agency can make this decision easier.
- .org – this one is typically used for organizations and non-profits.
- .net – this one is representative of network-type establishments.
- .com – this one is usually used for companies and is the most sought after domain extension.
2. The length of the domain – The shorter the better.
3. Ease of typing – People like what’s easy! No need to complicate the typing process, especially now that most searches are coming from large fingers on tiny phones.
4. Brand representation in the domain – You want to make sure your domain fits your brand and you aren’t being generic about your services. This will make it easier to find you on search engines.
5. Ease of pronunciation – If users can’t properly pronounce your name, how can you expect your customers to be able to find you?
6. Including a keyword – Having an industry-related keyword included in your domain can increase your web visibility for queries searching for what your business provides.
Once you purchase your domain, you must register it through a domain registrar. It’s important to note that this is separate from hosting.
Think about hosting as the property your building lives on. In this case, it’s the hosting property your website lives on.
When you purchase a domain, the next step is to find a hosting company.
Fortunately, our parent company offers these services.
I Have a Domain, Now What?
As a small business owner, getting a website is one of the top marketing platforms you can have.
It builds brand awareness, generates leads and gives your target audience a place to find you when they search keywords and phrases related to your business.
The next step to really capitalize on your domain is to ensure your site attached to that domain is mobile-friendly, SEO-friendly and uses quality content strategy and best design practices. Having a modern website with user-friendly functionalities can really make you stand out from your competitors and lead to a better conversion rate.
But, it all begins with a domain name.
We hope this information has been helpful for you. We’re excited for the start of your business and we’re here to help. If you haven’t created a domain name yet, consider our Small Business Startup Package!
We do it for you.
Ready to Grow Your Business?
Emerge is a digital marketing boutique firm that helps you grow your business through affordable website designs in Richmond VA. Our website designs are built to be Google-Friendly to give you the best possible chance of success.
© Emerge Richmond | All Rights Reserved